Saturday, July 18, 2015

Alice Jayne - Introducing Alice Jayne
Rollin Records



Every once in a while there comes a singer/songwriter who comes out of nowhere and surprises you. Well this singer/songwriter comes out of North London and her name is Alice Jayne. She recently released a four song EP titled Introducing Alice Jayne and after hearing just one song, I had to get the rest and here’s what I thought...

The opening song “One Good Reason” is a cover of the 80’s song by The Keys. While the original song is quite good, Alice Jayne makes it her own with a nice twang to it and has all the elements to be a hit single. I can’t stop playing this song and I occasionally find myself singing the chorus over and over. After one listen, you too won’t stop singing along to the chorus. The second song is a cover of Bob Dylan’s “I Want You” and the first version of this song on the EP. This is labeled as the “mellowed out” version and it’s quite good. You’ll be mellowing out to this song while on a train. Again, like “One Good Reason”, you’ll almost forget it’s a cover song and everything here just works. The third song is “He Does It Right”, a much different version of Wilko Johnson’s “She Does It Right” and Alice Jayne and the band make this one a real rocker. The closing song is the second version of “I Want You”, Memphis Style. Now you’re probably wondering, is it better than the first version? In fact, I like them both equally and Alice Jayne makes it her own and I love the slight differences of both versions.

This is a very solid EP and just a sample of what to expect from this great talent! Download the EP on iTunes, and for the vinyl collector, pick up the record single at the Rollin Records online store.

Thanks to Chris from 
Bopflix for introducing me to Alice Jayne. He directed her music video for the song “One Good Reason” which I recommend you watch right now!


No comments:

Post a Comment